Thursday, September 25, 2014

How often do you change your strings?

I get asked this quite a bit.  Here's my long and my short answer to this.  So take your pick and proceed accordingly.   Short answer see 1.   Long answer see 2.  Drum roll please.................


1.  It depends.  On a bunch of different things.  Have a nice day :-)

2.  It depends.  On a bunch of different things.

  • change them every 3-4 months if you play regularly and/or
  • you are having to re-tune using major adjustments (minor adjustments are normal) and/or
  • you see visible rust on the strings and/or
  • they sound dead 
These are just some basic guidelines as to when to change your strings.  Only you can prevent forest fires and only you can tell when you need new strings.  Over time you will get a much better ear to be able to tell when they start to go dead.  The sound actually changes and they just don't have that pop ring or tone they had when they were new.

Regular use - if you are playing what I would call regularly (over 2 hours a week) I would change them 3 or 4 times a year max.  Unless you are playing over an hour everyday I doubt you will need to change them any more than that.

Re-tuning - each time you pick up your banjo on a daily basis you will probably need minor tuning adjustments due to weather conditions (temperature, humidity, etc) and more major tuning if you for instance take your banjo and have it in your car for an hour on the way to a jam session.  If you only keep your banjo in the home and need to do major tuning each time you play and are having more difficulty keeping it in tune (and the banjo is not having any mechanical issues) then this is a good indicator that you may need a new set of strings.

Visible rust or gunk - Let's face it, I do not wipe down my strings after I play my banjo.  Ever.  I just don't.  However, I have it on good authority that if you want your strings to last for an extended period, then wipe them down with a cloth after each time you play.  This will remove the oils from your fingers that tend to add gunk to the strings.  Not sure how long you can extend the life of them, but anyway that's out there for you to try if you'd like.

Dead strings - do you notice that when you change your strings that you fall in love with your banjo all over again because of the sweet sounds of those new strings?  I sure do, could be because I'm trying to not change them as much.  If your strings are just dull sounding, then they are dead.  Change those puppy's out and you will notice a huge difference.

Pick on friends!
Mandy

It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.
Proverbs 20:3 
New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment